Friday, 8 February 2008

The arrival of Miss Bella!

Little miss Bella’s arrival!!!
41+1 weeks (40+8).

Tues 5th February I was booked in for induction. I woke at 5.35am to natural contractions every 8 minutes, on standing they intensified to every 3 mins. I decided to go in for monitoring anyway. When we arrived at the hospital the contractions had tailed off, I was devastated. On arriving at the hospital I was told all inductions were cancelled due to staff shortages BUT they would monitor me to see all was ok and send me home to wait for the inductions to restart. So we headed home hopeful that I would go into labour on my own.

I got home and slept for an hour and we called the ward at 4pm, they said they had one place and the inductions were back on but on a very limited basis. I was struggling with deciding to wait to see if it would happen on it's own or taking the limited induction placement. By now I was so gutted that she wasn't here already I headed on in.So we rushed in and I was examined. The previous week baby was very low and ideal for ARM. Not to be though, she was high, my cervix was prosterior and closed!!!! I could have cried. The mw then tried to pull it forward!!! OMG!!!!!! Yowzers!!!!! The mw said it would need to be a prostin tablet which is everything I wanted to avoid but after the disappointment of my contractions dying off and the list to be induced building up I was willing to take my chances. The tablet was inserted at about 5.30pm and I was monitored for an hour, all was well with baby and she was enjoying her last fling in my uterus.By 10pm there was no change and by this point I just wanted some painkillers to ease my pelvis and knock me out for the night. I felt emotionally exhausted by the days events. So 2 paracetamol later I sent home and tried to sleep.

At about 11.45pm I kept waking with pains similar to my morning pains every 10 mins or so. They were painful but short, I breathed through them and tried desperately to sleep. These soon became every 3 mins, then every 1min but they were only lasting 20 seconds but knocking the stuffing out of me. I went to the toilet and got stuck on the loo as they just kept coming. An auxillary came to rescue me and by now I was crying saying this is pants!!!!

I got back to my bed and the mw came to see me at 1am on the 6th feb, she monitored me for 20 mins and said even though I was having lots of contractions they were typical prostin pains as they weren’t lasting long enough. By now I was desperate and begged for some help, I just didn’t want to do it on my own. She said she would examine me and give me pethedine to help me through the prostin pains if I couldn’t cope.So the mw examined me and said you are 4cm off to labour ward now.

She called and a woman came to collect me and wheel me up, all my stuff was left on the ward.I arrived on the labour ward at 1.30am on the 6th Feb, pushed by a senior mw from the birthing centre. I got on the bed while they registered me there etc. By now I had bagged myself some gas and air and Chris arrived at 1.45pm. A doctor came to put a venflon in me but wouldn’t attempt my veins so an anaesnaetist was called. He had lovely hands!!! A student mw then turned up to help out (ie get in on my labour ).

I then noticed that by the end of each short contraction I was getting pushing urges that I couldn’t stop. I had 2 small urges but the mw looked but said nothing’s there. On the third my waters gushed all over the bed, nice and clear.The next contraction and the pushing urge was unstoppable and her head was out followed by her body on the next. I was so shocked. I couldn’t understand how the pushing had come so quickly before I’d managed to get my hands on more than 10 mins of gas and air or pethedine!

Isabella Violet was born at 2.08am after a total labour time of 1 hour and 35 mins. only made the delivery by the lat 25 mins. The placenta came easily but was big and the membrane bag followed. My drip was started and I fed my beautiful baby Bella. She was later weighed and was a perfect 8lb 13.5oz!!! Yay!!!! No tearing!!! Yay!!!! No pph !!!!She then fed until 9.30 am, she slept until 1pm, fed until 4pm and we were allowed home at 6pm on the 6th February. The boys love her. I just can’t really take in how it’s happened so quickly but I am so in love with my little girl. My family just seems so right now.I will add more pics later the first pics are taking too long to load.

No I didn't record the birth as my bags were still down on the ward, she came withing about 30 mins of getting to labour ward .

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: